Tuesday 6 March 2007

Another Update

Before updating what's new with me and SF&F, a brief pause of respect at the news that Leigh Eddings has passed away. The wife of fantasy author David Eddings, Leigh was the co-author with her husband on all of his fantasy novels, uncredited up until the 1995 release of Belgarath the Sorcerer before she got a joint credit with him on their later novels. All-in-all, she co-wrote twenty-two books with her husband. Leigh passed away at the age of 69 on 28 February following a series of strokes. Condolences to her family.

After that subdued note, I received my first-ever review copies of books from Gollancz today, courtesy of Simon Spanton. Many thanks to Pat of Pat's Fantasy Hotlist who put them in touch with me. The books in question are:

Selling Out by Justina Robson (Book 2 of the Quantum Gravity series, the sequel to Keeping It Real)
Black Man by Richard Morgan (a new standalone novel from the author of Altered Carbon)
The Last Wish by Andrzej Sapkowski (a highly-recommended novel by a leading Polish fantasist)
The Prefect by Alastair Reynolds (a new standlone SF novel set in the Revelation Space universe)

I think The Prefect will be the first book I check out, on the grounds that his last Revelation Space stand-alone novel was the masterful Chasm City. I think I'll have to pick up Keeping It Real as well before trying Selling Out.

4 comments:

Patrick said...

Robson's SELLING OUT!?! I don't even have this one yet!

Outrageous, says I!!!;-)

Unknown said...

Richard Morgan's latest, eh? Looking to forward to reading your take on it.

Adam Whitehead said...

Pat, now I see the benefits of living just 50 miles from London. Things take a bit quicker than they do to get across the Atlantic (laughs evilly). That said, my limited reading time probably means you'll still read everything before me. I suck at teh reading. And Black Man (aka 13) looks like a very impressive read. Just started the Reynolds.

Neth said...

Well, it's about time that you got some books direct from a publisher - you are one of the most knowledgeable 'fans' out there and you write good reviews