The full announced cast (including previously-announced roles) now comprises:
- Gordon Cormier as Aang, the Avatar.
- Kiawentiio Tarbell as Katara.
- Ian Ousley as Sokka.
- Dallas Liu as Prince Zuko.
- Paul Sun-Hyung Lee as General Iroh.
- Daniel Dae Kim as Fire Lord Ozai.
- Yvonne Chapman as Kyoshi, a prior incarnation of the Avatar.
- C.S. Leek as Roku, a prior incarnation of the Avatar.
- Meegun Fairbrother as Kuruk, a prior incarnation of the Avatar.
The Southern Water Tribe
- Casey Camp-Horinek as Gran-Gran, matriarch of the Southern Water Tribe.
- Rainbow Dickerson as Kya, Sokka and Katara's mother.
- Joel Montgrand as Hakoda, Sokka and Katara's father.
The Northern Water Tribe
- Nathaniel Arcand as Arnook, the chief of the Northern Water Tribe.
- Amber Midthunder as Princess Yue of the Northern Water Tribe.
- Irene Bedard as Yagoda, a Northern Water Tribe healer.
- A. Martinez as Pakku, a Waterbending master.
- Joel Outlette as Hahn, a Northern Water Tribe soldier.
- Sebastian Amoruso as Jet, the leader of the Freedom Fighters.
The Fire Nation
- Ken Leung as Commander Zhao.
- Elizabeth Yu as Princess Azula.
- Momona Tamada as Ty Lee.
- Thalia Tran as Mai.
- Ryan Mah as Lieutenant Dang of the Fire Nation Navy.
- Francois Chau as the Great Sage of the Fire Temple.
- Hiro Kanagawa as Fire Lord Sozin.
The Earth Kingdom
- Maria Zhang as Suki, commander of the Kyoshi Warriors.
- Tamlyn Tomita as Yukari, Suki's mother.
- Danny Pudi as the Mechanist, an inventor from the Earth Kingdom.
- Lucian-River Chauhan as Teo, the Mechanist's son.
- Utkarsh Ambudkar as King Bumi of Omashu.
- Arden Cho as June, a bounty hunter.
- James Sie as the Cabbage Merchant.
The Air Nomads
- Lim Kay Siu as Gyatso, an Air Nomad.
- George Takei as Koh the Face-Stealer.
- Randall Duk Kim as Wan Shi Tong, the spirit who guards a great library.
It's notable that James Sie reprises his role as the Cabbage Merchant from the original animated television series, making him the only actor to play the same role in both versions. Daniel Dae Kim voiced General Fong and Hiroshi Sato on the original Avatar and The Legend of Korra, whilst George Takei memorably voiced the Warden on the original show ("Get me someone I haven't thrown overboard!").
Based on the characters announced, it looks like Netflix's Avatar will draw primarily on the first season (of three) of the animated series for its storylines, but some characters from Season 2 of the animated series will also be debuting early, such as Ty Lee and Mai. No casting has been announced for the fan-favourite role of Toph, making it more likely that, as in the animated series, she won't appear until a potential second season of the remake.
Netflix have not announced a release date for the show, but early 2023 seems like a reasonable bet at this time. Albert Kim is serving as showrunner and head writer.