Sunday 10 June 2012

Neal Stephenson working on a swordfighting computer game

No, really.



SF author Neal Stephenson - of Snow Crash, Cryptonomicon, Baroque Cycle, Anathem and Reamde fame - is apparently unhappy with the depiction of swordfighting in computer games, so is now working on a new system. He's set up a Kickstarter (crowd-funding) project and asked for half a million dollars, roping in a whole bunch of experts and some nifty swords-with-sensors-attached to help pitch the idea.

Interesting. Mental, clearly, but interesting if they can actually pull it off. Stephenson's pitch is quite amusing and apparently they raised $30,000 within a few hours of the page going up, so I wouldn't be surprised to see the project succeed in raising the initial investment.

1 comment:

Jack Tripper said...

I just can't get over how unbelievably bad@$$ Neal Stephenson is.

BTW, Wert, I've been waiting on a review of Anathem for a few years now. It's my favorite thing he's ever done, without question, so I'm curious to see what you think. It's not as intimidating as most people make it out. Actually, it was an up all night page-turner for me.