Monday 28 November 2011

Dungeon-crawling for the 21st Century: Legend of Grimrock

Developers Almost Human are working on a new dungeon crawl game entitled Legend of Grimrock. The game is a lovingly-crafted tribute to dungeon-crawling games of yesteryear, such as Dungeon Master, Eye of the Beholder, Knightmare, Black Crypt and Lands of Lore, and even features the same tile-based movement of those games, as well as a similar combat and inventory interface. Here's the trailer:



Looks like a lot of fun, though what modern gamers more used to the likes of Skyrim will make of it is unclear. But for older gamers hankering for some old-school gaming, it could be just what the duergar ordered. The game is currently scheduled for release in early 2012 on PC and Mac.

5 comments:

Jebus said...

Looks AWESOME! Gave me Eye of the Beholder flashbacks, especially looked a lot like the original EOTB.

Are there any games out there like the old SSI goldbox games? One of my fave games of all time is still Curse of the Azure Bonds (with Secret of the Silver Blades and the two Pools games close behind).

Jay said...

Jebus: If you're talking about the isometric rpg types, I'd say Spiderweb Software is a good place to visit.

RobB said...

Ahhh Lands of Lore, I played the hell out of that back in college. Loved that Patrick Stewart did voice work for it.

Skip said...

Visually looks pretty good, but going to the site and reading the faq, it's real-time, not turn-based, which reduces my interest down to 'er, maybe if it's the steam deal of the day for a couple of bucks'.

Yagiz said...

IMHO, a few things can beat a good old dungeon crawl, which I assume, kinda gives away my age.
This game looks great. I wish I had time to play.