Monday 2 February 2009

Update

What I'm up to at the moment:

Currently Reading: The Affirmation by Christopher Priest
Currently Watching: The Wire Season 5 (DVD), Battlestar Galactica Season 4.5 (TV), Lost Season 5 (TV)
Currently Playing: BioShock

I am slightly backlogged on reviews, mainly because my watching and playing over and after Christmas has outstripped my reading and I didn't want to overload the blog with tons of movie/game reviews. However, Half-Life 2: Episode One, Fallout 3: Operation Anchorage, My Name is Bruce and Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog should get some reviewage in the near future. As is traditional, I'll review the new seasons of BSG and Lost once they get to their halfway points (episode 15 for BSG, which it'll reach in about a fortnight, and episode 8 for Lost, which is another month away).

My to-read pile is getting taller at an uncomfortable rate. I'm still musing on my next read, which will probably either be Hunter's Moon by David Devereux or the bookshelf-straining Braided Path by Chris Wooding (a thousand-pager trilogy omnibus). Of course, if the cold weather and snow continues, I may have to plump for Dan Simmons' Arctic survival story The Terror, for maximum impact.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I vote Braided Path since I still haven't tried any of Chris Wooding's work, but I might do so if you like it.

Swainson said...

I vote Hunter's Moon as I read it last week. Great fun. It tears quite a pace so shouldn't take too long.

Longasc said...

I really love Fallout 3, I was also pretty excited about the DLC idea. Maybe this would be the first time they do it "right". But no, people reported tons of issues and problems, the price tag was also quite high.

I did not suffer from download problems and other issues, my gripe is the GAME... it is basically, a shooter with chinese soldiers that disappear. The Anchorage mission is a simulator mission, like Tranquility Lane. You unlock some weapons of the past in the arsenal of the Outcast Brotherhood base after you completed the mission.

Anchorage is linear, very short (3 hours max, not more) and puts a forte on combat. But Fallout 3 is not really a proper shooter, despite VATS and some tougher opponents (invisible soldiers that cannot be targetted by VATS e.g., 0% hit chance. But VATS still aligns your gun, so go VATS mode, exit, fire manually...).

I hope the next two expansions offer some more story, not shooting two different chinese soldiers models over and over. I am surprised, Anchorage has nothing of the love for detail or an exciting scenario, it is not really "Fallout". A real letdown! :(

James said...

Read The Terror - you won't be disappointed...