Monday 7 February 2011

RIP Brian Jacques

It has been sadly announced that children's fantasy author Brian Jacques has died of a heart attack at the age of 71.

Jacques is best-known as the author of the Redwall series of animal fantasies. The 22nd novel in the series, The Rogue Crew, is complete and due for publication in May 2011. He also wrote an additional number of other books, including companions to the Redwall series and unrelated books. Overall, his novels had sold more than 20 million copies worldwide and been translated into 29 languages.

7 comments:

ishouldbeking said...

Aw, that's a sad bit of news. I have fond memories of reading the first several Redwall books in grade school.

franti said...

aw, no. He's the guy that got me reading fantasy in the first place. I'm shattered.

Anonymous said...

The genre has lost its best 'gateway' author since Tolkien. RIP.

Anonymous said...

That's really sad. I've fond memories of the Redwall books. Probably the first fantasy books i've read.

Anonymous said...

May he get where he is going with ease.

Keeril said...

i loved those books... i'm devastated. i wanted them to go on on and on forever. :(

Anonymous said...

At 24, I'm far out of the target audience, but every year I have waited impatiently for the newest Redwall book. I'm in complete disbelief that this will be the last one I'll have. RIP, Mr. Jacques.