Friday 22 April 2011

Re-release of Chris Wooding's THE BRAIDED PATH

Chris Wooding's excllent Braided Path trilogy is being reissued in omnibus by Gollancz this July. This is the second time the trilogy - The Weavers of Saramyr, The Skein of Lament and The Ascendancy Veil - has been made available in omnibus, but the the previous edition has gone out of the print.


Unfortunately, it has to be said that the new cover is not that great. It's yet another dude in a hood with swords. To be honest, I don't even remember there being very many dudes in hoods with swords playing a role in the book. It's also unfortunate that the novel's Asian-themed backdrop is not represented at all on the cover, unlike the previous omnibus:


The new edition should be hitting the shops in the UK on 21 July. Even with a weaker cover, it's still a fine and enjoyable novel mixing traditional fantasy tropes with Asian influences to great effect.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've enjoyed Retribution Falls and Black Lung Captain so will grab this. Both of those have astounding covers so it's a shame they didn't someone in with an ounce of creativity.

Anonymous said...

Wouldn't surprise me if it does better than the old omnibus - the bulk of fantasy readers seemed to be turned off by asian themes and artwork, make them obvious and your sales will go down. Dude in a hood looking like traditional fantasy... it might sell better!

Chris Wooding said...

Exactly. I asked Gollancz to take the Asian look out of it for just that reason. Personally, I totally love that cover, but then I don't have an issue with hooded guys on fantasy covers (perhaps because I don't own any) and I think the Weavers (which is what they are) look hyper badass... So there ;)

Cheers for putting it up anyway, Adam.

Megan said...

I wonder how many people casually scanning a bookshelf are all, "what's this? A hooded figure? By jove, I must by this!"

Alex said...

The proliferation of hooded sword wielding dudes is a little baffling. I can't help but think a proper swordsman would cut them to ribbons as their cloak and hood would get in the way more than a little.

Chris Wooding said...

@ Megan - You'd be surprised. That's pretty much exactly what my Mum does. That or a dragon ;)

By the way, the hooded dude doesn't have a sword at all. It's a flowing piece of rag. And a Weaver would choke them with their own intestines before they got halfway to thinking about drawing a sword :)

trina said...

I have asked the book stores here in the US if they are going to sell the book with the new cover and they said no. Why is that?? They do not even have copies of the old one or of Book 2 and Book 3. I only got to read Book 1 from the library and that is it. I wish someone would take pity on me and send me a copy of Book 2 and Book 3. I do not have a credit card.

Adam Whitehead said...

I don't think the books have ever been published in the USA, which is part of the problem. I think the best hope is that the American editions of the KETTY JAY series do really well and the publishers decide to pick up BRAIDED PATH as well.