Saturday 26 May 2012

ASoIaF/GoT mod for CRUSADER KINGS II released

A modding team have released their Song of Ice and Fire-based mod for Crusader Kings II, Paradox Interactive's acclaimed medieval dynasty simulator. Crusader Kings II: A Game of Thrones is available right now for free, but you need a copy of Crusader Kings II to play it.


The mod not only alters the existing game setting and factions, it also introduces new features not present in the base game and allows for some amusing changes to the way things fell out in the books, as this report on a campaign indicates:
"An interesting development in my campaign if anyone's interested. Managed to squash Robert's Rebellion after ol' King Aerys met an "unfortunate" end and Rhaegar ascended to the throne. Spared Robert's life which eventually led to him choosing trial by combat. He killed Rhaegar so now I'm playing as Aegon with Varys as my regent. Gotta say, this mod is leaps and bounds ahead of vanilla CK2 and the official ASOIAF games as well."


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

In my first game Robert took the throne, Stannis got storms end and Renly married Brienne.

Stefan (Far Beyond Reality) said...

I've been wanting to check out Crusader Kings 2 forever. I wish there was a demo. I'm a bit worried about the level of complexity - I'm usually more of a Civ4 player, and I know CK2 and other games by this company often take it to a whole other level of complexity. But the game seems fantastic, from what I've read about it, and this mod sounds interesting...

TwoBitWriter said...

In truth, while the game is complex, it is surprisingly easy to learn the fundamentals. The tutorial isn't all that great, but I recommend you go through that, and then play a small game on Easy difficulty as one of the Earls of Ireland. It's a great way to get introduced to the game. As an Earl of Ireland you have autonomy, and don't have to worry about revolts from vassals or anything like that. On my first game I managed to unite all of the counties and create the kingdom of Ireland. The mod itself is a ton of fun. House Lannister for life.