Y: The Last Man, originally a graphic novel series by Saga writer Brian K. Vaughan, opens with the death of every single male mammal on the planet with a Y-chromosome, apart from Yorick Brown and his pet monkey, Ampersand. The sixty-issue comic series explores the aftermath of this event, with various factions battling to take control of Yorick, kill him, or use him to repopulate the human race.
The principle roles for the series have been cast as follows:
- Barry Keoghan (Dunkirk) will play the protagonist, Yorick Brown, the last man alive.
- Diane Lane (The Cotton Club, Chaplin, Man of Steel) will play Senator Jennifer Brown, Yorick's mother and a high-ranking member of the US government following the disaster.
- Imogen Poots (V for Vendetta, 28 Weeks Later) will play Hero Brown, Yorick's sister who falls in with an extremist group following the disaster.
- Lashana Lynch (Captain Marvel) will play Agent 355, a member of a top-secret American intelligence organisation who is - reluctantly - tasked with protecting Yorick.
- Juliana Canfield (Succession) will play Beth, Yorick's girlfriend who is in Australia when the disaster strikes and is subsequently stuck there.
- Marin Ireland (Sneaky Pete) will play Nora, the US President's right-hand woman and confidante.
- Amber Tamblyn (Two-and-a-Half Men, Django Unchained) will play Mariette Callows, the daughter of the US President and a new character created for the TV series.
- Ampersand the monkey will be portrayed through the medium of CGI.