Tuesday 26 February 2013

Hugo Nominations 2013

As a paid-up member of Loncon 2014, I was able to participate in the nominating process for this year's Hugo Awards (though not the final vote). Here's what I have nominated so far, although I'm still mulling over a few other categories:


Best Novel
Existence by David Brin
2312 by Kim Stanley Robinson
Dark Eden by Chris Beckett
Kings of Morning by Paul Kearney
Railsea by China Mieville

Best Dramatic Presentation - Long Form
Game of Thrones: Season 2*
The Walking Dead: The Episodic Adventure Game
XCOM
The Dark Knight Rises
The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey

Best Dramatic Presentation - Short Form
Game of Thrones Episode 209: Blackwater*
Game of Thrones Episode 210: Valar Morghulis*
The Walking Dead Episode 210: 18 Miles Out
The Walking Dead Episode 213: Beside the Dying Fire
Merlin Episode 513: Diamond of the Day, Part II

* Game of Thrones is eligible in both categories, but if it receives more votes in one category than the other, it will be disqualified from the other, as happened last year.

Best Professional Artist
Marc Simonetti for the 2013 Song of Ice and Fire calendar

Best Fancast
Sword and Laser

Best Fan Writer
Aidan Moher for A Dribble of Ink
Graeme Flory for Graeme's Fantasy Book Review
Niall Alexander for the Speculative Scotsman
Ken Neth for Nethspace

Also worth a look is Beyond the Wall, edited by James Lowder, a collection of excellent essays (and one by me) about A Song of Ice and Fire and Game of Thrones. Modesty prevents me from nominating for it myself, but that doesn't mean I can't urge others to do the same :)

9 comments:

Paul Weimer said...

Oh I do think you are an excellent candidate for a Hugo nomination, Adam.Not just for the Beyond the Wall essay book, either.

Anonymous said...

REALLY would love to see Kearney win for Kings of Morning. He deserves it just on what he went through with publishers. Nevermind how good that series is.

Anonymous said...

Just out of curiosity, which book written by a woman comes the closest to being nominated by you in the first category?
And no, it's really just curiosity, I'm not criticising your own personal decision. ;)

Adam Whitehead said...

SHARPS by K.J. Parker (assuming she's a she) and THE KILLING MOON by N.K. Jemisin, with THE IRON CROWN AFFAIR by Lilith Saintcrow a bit behind them.

Anonymous said...

all white males for your novel nominations....so much for broadening your horizons.....

Anonymous said...

Hello,

Nice selection overall but the inclusion of "Merlin Episode 513: Diamond of the Day, Part II" was rather inspired.

Adam Whitehead said...

From May last year, about 50% of the books I read were by women. Almost all of them were pre-2012 releases, however, and therefore not eligible for the award. Only four were (the three mentioned above and Rae Carson's Fire and Thorns, which was okay but way too lightweight to be in contention), and they did not make my Top 5.

Anonymous said...

Thanks :) I loved Sharps and she (I'm also pretty sure she is a woman) has yet to disappoint me. Despite having similar themes and always adding a twist, all of her novels I've read have been vastly different. Plus I think it's a good thing that I totally dig her lengthly descriptions of war tech. *gg*
I'm currently reading The Killing Moon, it's quite fascinating.

Aidan Moher said...

As I mentioned on twitter, I really appreciate the vote of confidence from you, Adam.

Will you also be voting for those blogs in the 'Best Fanzine' category?